North Carolina Focus on Increasing Education Leadership and Dignity
Click here to See PJC on the Daily Show
Update! June 26, 2014
A LOT has happened since the release of the Human Right Watch (HRW) report about child labor in tobacco! The study demonstrates the long and short term health risks to children working in this crop.
You can read the study HERE.
Summary of Recent Events:
* Senator Tom Harkin submitted a letter signed by 17 other US Senators to tobacco companies urging stronger child labor policies.
* Congressman George Miller penned a letter signed by all 18 Democrats on the House Education and Workforce Committee urging a hearing as soon as possible to see what the federal government can do about child labor in US tobacco.
* HRW alongside other key leaders met with a senior labor advisor for the White House Domestic Policy Council outlining the dangers to US child tobacco workers.
*The Daily Show with Jon Stewart will be doing a segment on child labor in tobacco on June 26th
*The NGO letter to tobacco companies currently has 30 organizational sign-ons.
*Editorial opinions in the NEW YORK TIMES (here) and the WASHINGTON POST (here) call on the Obama Administration and tobacco companies for change.
*A feature story on NPR's morning edition (here).
How you can help:
1) Write Chairman Kline's office to urge him to hold the hearing requested by members of the House Education and Workforce Committee. Send him an email here.
2) Contact the Senators and members of Congress who signed the two letters to thank them for their support!
Find your representative here.
3) DONATE. NC FIELD helps connect farmworker youth with other opportunities instead of working in the fields and advocates for farmworkers and their families.
4) Sign the petition to end child labor in tobacco below:
Read NC FIELD's press release about the Human Rights Watch report here
Farmworkers touch our lives every day by picking the fruit and vegetables that end up on our plates at every meal. Ironically, many farmworkers suffer from malnutrition and food scarcity issues due to lack of work and transportation and rural isolation. Farmworkers are also frequently exposed to exploitative situations, at work and at home, that deny the right to basic safety and dignity.
NC FIELD is a grassroots 501(c)3 organization that serves as an advocate for farmworkers and their families in eastern North Carolina, assisting them to gain access to services and information not readily available.
Additionally, we offer farmworkers opportunities and education that strengthen their community and foster self-sufficiency.
Explore this site to learn about the real lives of farmworkers in North Carolina and how you can help ensure the success of the farmworker community.